AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Sunday, March 10, 2013

THE PINE RIDGE STORY

PBS is featuring a film festival, during the month of March, with some beautifully done short films worth watching.  One of them is a film about the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota.

Many summers ago, our news director and I made several trips to Pine Ridge doing a series of radio interviews with the people there.

Those visits totally changed my life. It changed my view of our government, our country and our beliefs.  Like the gentleman who made this film, I am on the side of the American Indian and, until my dying day, I will be on the side of the American Indian.

I remember talking to one of the last medicine men born in the late 1800's.  I asked him what he thought about all the changes to the land he had seen in his life time.  He said, "We were here thousands of years before you came.  We'll still be here thousands of years after you'e gone."

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER