AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Does your chewing gum lose its flavor?

Aunt Wilda was telling us that Mother was always chewing gum when they were kids.

With that fresh in my mind, an article caught my eye, this morning, that says chewing gum can raise your metabolic rate by about 20%.  I wasn't even sure I had a metabolic rate so I looked it up.

Of course, I couldn't understand what they were talking about but it has to do with your body while its at rest.  If that's the case, my body has has a lot of it because it's "at rest" most of the time.

I'll bet you didn't know that people have been chewing gum since the stone age.  Prehistoric people chewed tree resin and folks have been chewing ever since.

American Indians chewed tree sap and when the early European settlers arrived they mixed beeswax with the tree sap to make an easier chew.  That sounds like a tasty bit of goo.

The first commercial chewing gum was not introduced by the Wrigley's.  It was presented to the world by John B. Curtis in 1848.  It was called "State of Maine Spruce Gum".

Try writing a jingle for a product with a name like that!

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER