AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A MISERABLE MEDICAL MESS
WHO DO I SUE IF THE PILLS ARE BAD?
 
Donnie has a story that may cause you to think twice before you pop the next pill.
 

"Early in 2011 Lipitor--the medication I (and millions of others) take for cholesterol control went generic. The price for a month's supply went from $125 ($35 insured) to $4. Almost predictably, I suppose, some of the cheapo generic knock-off has now been recalled, just as I received a mail-order three-month supply. This sent me scampering to the net, to find out if the pills in my bottle are among the lots recalled: apparently not. But I did learn a bit more about the global pharmacy.

The company announcing the recall (and already in bad light with the FDA over previous infractions) is located in India. It is owned by a company in Japan but the plant actually fabricating the pills is in New Jersey.

My payment for the mail order is addressed to a finance center in Philadelphia, but the company that manages mail-order prescriptions, Medco (also previous legal troubles with the US Gov), appears to be located in Dallas, though its business envelope has a Cincinnati return address."


Globalization:  Ain't it great? (for the corporations)

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER