AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

15 YEARS AGO TODAY

Today marks the 15th anniversary of my return to La Crosse.  The year was 1997.

Bill Clinton was president.  It was the year that "Antiques Roadshow", one of my favorites, made its debut on PBS.  It was also the final season of "Rosanne".

1997 was the year Princess Diana, Robert Mitchum, John Denver, Mother Teresa and Red Skelton Died.

The Academy Award for best picture went to "The English Patient".  Another award winner I walked out of after the first half hour.  Never saw anything so boring in my life.  I'll never forget the Seinfeld episode where the gang went to see "The English Patient" and Elaine, absolutely, hated it.  She and I, apparently, had the same tastes.

1997 was the year F.W. WOOLWORTH closed their doors for the final time after 117 years in business.  The F.W. Woolworth store, in La Crosse, left town long before that but I still remember it, on Main Street, right across the alley from the Elite.

A lot of water under the bridge since 1997!

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER