AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

WHAT A FUNNY BOOK!

I started reading a new book, today, and by the time I got to page 2 I was laughing so hard the tears were running down my cheeks.  I suppose I found it funnier than most would because of my years with the airline.

"Situations Matter" by Sam Sommers is, actually, a book about understanding how the context of a situation you're in affects how you react.

In the first instance, he's talking about arriving at the gate just moments after the aircraft door has been closed and locked and the gate agent won't re-open it for him, to board, even though there's still 10 minutes left before departure.

As Mr. Sommers points out, "Because, as we all know, once they close that door, there's no going back.  No, that's nonnegotiable and irreversible.  To reopen that door--the modern incarnation of Pandora's Box--would be unthinkable.  Doing so would undermine the very fabric that holds our society together, not to mention disrupt the space-time continuum as we know it."  and it get's funnier from there.

If you want to have a good laugh and learn a few neat things besides, pick up a copy of Sam Sommers "Situations Matter".

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER