AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Monday, July 04, 2011

HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY 4TH!

Our weather is looking good for the 4th of July.  You can't beat Sunny skies with afternoon temperatures around 85!

The hottest 4th of July, around here, was way back in 1911.  It was in the middle of a heat wave that produced 100 degrees in La Crosse and 102 in Viroqua.  I think our 85 today will be a lot more comfortable.

By the way, the firecrackers started exploding a little later this morning.  I didn't hear any explosions until around 2:30.

I haven't been down to the park, yet this year, to check out Riverfest.  I think I may take a walk down there early this morning.

Oh, yes!  A bit of Independence Day trivia:  If I ask you who made the U.S. flag you're going to say Betsy Ross, I'll bet.  Hang on there, stars and stripes breath, there ain't no proof Betsy had anything to do with the flag.  She may have been darning socks for all we know.

So, where did the Betsy Ross story come from??  The first recorded mention of Betsy and the flag came from her grandson about 100 years after the flag was created.  Before that time, nothing has ever been found to indicate who made the flag.  As far as you know, it could, just as well, have been me.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER