AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Friday, July 05, 2013

NATIONAL BIKINI DAY

I remember it like it was yesterday...... It was the summer of 1960 and I spent the entire summer, that year, in New York City.  I got the worst sunburn of my life at Rockaway Beach, in Queens, on Long Island.  My legs were so burned I could hardly walk but when you're 20 years old a little sunburn won't stop you from seeing the sights and I saw them all!
 
The big Top 40 radio station, in New York, was 1010 WINS which is now an all-news station.  That summer of 1960, however, the #1 song was by a young man from Woodhaven, New York which, also, happens to be in Queens.  It seemed like every time you tuned the radio to 1010 WINS they were playing Brian Hyland's hit, "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini".
 
One more time I have to hear it to celebrate NATIONAL BIKINI DAY and remember that magical summer in The big Apple!

1 comment:

det said...

Bob & Ray appeared on WINS for a few years, and I have some of those early recordings.

LA CROSSE WEATHER