AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

DONNIE'S PANTS

"Comes another indicator that I, too, am "fat."   The latest pop measure (saw it cited in several sources) is "belly fat"--that the inches around one's middle at the navel should be less than half one's height.  My 6 feet of height (72") means I should be no more than 36" around the waist.  Well, I am more than that.  (I was 32" most of my life.  At age 50 I suddenly went to 34".  And since retirement I have gone to 36".  I don't know whether to buy new clothes or just die.)

Meantime, Time magazine has a long piece on the "pursuit of happiness," or as they title it inside, "The Happiness of Pursuit," their point being, I guess, that getting there is at least half the fun--the happiness lies in the pursuit.  Among the usual charts and statistics is the claim that home owners are less happy than renters: that owners are more likely to suffer stress and gain weight.

So I can blame my new fat status on home ownership, along with stress and endless expenses...not to mention the scorpions."

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER