AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Friday, February 01, 2013

FUNNY HOW YOUR MIND WORKS

I woke up, this morning with the phrase "Kit and Kaboodle" running through my mind.  Why would I be thinking that?  And, what's a Kaboodle, I asked.

I couldn't roll over and go back to sleep.  I had to get up and find out about kaboodle...which, I discovered, can also be spelled caboodle.

The phrase comes from the 18 century and, of course, "kit" or "kit bag" refers to a small bag that soldiers carried to hold their "stuff".

Kaboodle actually started out as "boodle" which is British for a "collection of things" or it can mean a "collection of friends".  The "ka" was, probably, added just 'cause it sounds good.

So, it boils down to this.  Your "kit" is your brief case, overnight bag, Carry-on, etc.  And your boodle could be family, friends, keys, etc.

"Bring along your bag and anything else you can carry" could be boiled down to "Kit and kaboodle".

Personally, I like to put everything in my bag.  I hate trying to hold on to Kaboodle too.  Best to keep one hand free.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER