AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Sunday, September 09, 2012

WALK WITH CARE

I've been hit once by a car, while walking, and once was enough.  In the last five days we've had 3 car/pedestrian accidents in La Crosse.  One of the accidents resulted in the death of the pedestrian.

This doesn't surprise me.  In fact, I'm surprised there aren't more.  First of all we have this stupid law that "cars must stop for pedestrians" which was passed by lawmakers who have never walked any farther than from the front door of their house to their car.

There are a lot of very naive pedestrians who think that, because "it's the law" they can cross the street, whenever they please and the cars will stop.  After walking for 72 years I can tell you.....No.  They won't!  If the driver isn't talking on the phone, putting on make up, eating breakfast, looking for something in the glove compartment, trying to get the kid to sit down or texting they might notice you're crossing the street.  Or, they might be one of those people who think the law doesn't apply to them.

I saw a pedestrian killed, crossing the street, when I lived in San Francisco.  They also had that "driver must stop" law and the poor little old lady actually believed it.  After I got hit in Sioux Falls I made up my own law.  You can stop the car and sit there and wait on me till hell freezes over but I am NOT going to cross the street until you get your big ass car OUT OF MY WAY.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER