AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Sunday, July 10, 2011

A great story from Paul.

Dorothy and I had a rare experience. While leaving the valley I noticed a falcon eating a wood duck on the road. We had a camera with us so luckily were able to snap this picture. It is a peregrine falcon. This sighting has been written up in the local paper with this picture. According to the people that keep track of them, it is an unbanned female and is an unknown individual. They requested people keep an eye out for local nesting spots: cliff outcrops that one would need to repel down in order to get to the nest.
And, while we're on the subject...

Let me recommend this excellent book by Dan O'Brien.  Not only a great author, Dan is also one of the best known falconers in the USA.  He lives on a ranch, in western South Dakota, near Bear Butte.

Among the many books he has written is this one which I read some time ago.  I didn't know anything about falcons until I read this and I've been fascinated by them ever since.

If you want to read more about these birds and South Dakota and Dan's life with these great creatures, it's available at the La Crosse Public Library.

Dan's latest book, that I'm aware of, is "Buffalo for the Broken Heart".  http://www.randomhouse.com/book/123150/buffalo-for-the-broken-heart-by-dan-obrien

It's Dan's account of turning his ranch (The Broken Heart Ranch) into a home for the buffalo to roam.  It's also available at the library and I plan on reading that, later this week as soon as I finish the book I'm now reading.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER