AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Thursday, April 10, 2014

TWO PRESIDENTS, DONNIE AND LINDA ALL IN THE SAME TOWN TODAY.

I started a new book today.  "One Summer-America, 1927" is Bill Bryson's latest book.  Bryson is a great author who was born in Iowa but has lived in England for many years.

I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones who lived through the 60's while I was in my 20's.  It was the perfect age to experience one of our most exciting decades.

At the same time, I feel un-lucky that I missed the other decade that was the USA at its most exciting, the roaring 20's.

1927 had to have been a great year to be alive.  Charles Lindbergh doing his solo flight across the Atlantic,  Babe Ruth going for his home run record, President Calvin Coolidge spending the summer of that year in the Black Hills of South DakotaAl Capone running Chicago and the first "talking picture, "The Jazz Singer" playing in New York and the beginning of events on Wall Street that led to the crash of '29.

That's a lot of stuff to cover in one book so I'd better start reading!

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER