AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Monday, January 06, 2014

MONDAY JANUARY 6: I'M GROWING WINTER WEARY

I'M BEGINNING TO HATE THIS WINTER


THEY SAY WE'LL BE UP TO 31 BY FRIDAY
31 will feel like a heat wave!  I can hardly wait.

BRAVING THE ELEMENTS
I made a run over to Co-op and, being the sturdy Viking that I am, I didn't think it was all that cold even though they say the wind chill is 40 below.  I will admit, however, that I don't think I would have wanted to walk much farther than Co-op.  I don't think it would take long to start turning blue.
 COLD ALL THE WAY TO THE GULF

DRIVERS IN THE DAKOTAS
TOLD TO CARRY
WINTER SURVIVAL KITS AND
FULLY CHARGED CELL PHONES
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
THE BRITS HAVE
SUCH A BRILLIANT
SENSE OF HUMOR!

 
 
There's a web page called GRANDPARENTS.COM that made me feel so much better this morning.  They're showing photos of some of the most famous aging stars in Hollywood and they're not lookin' good!  Take a look and see what you think.
 
 
 
 


IT'S STUFF LIKE THIS
THAT MAKES ME PROUD
OF MY DUTCH BLOOD!




STILL TOO MANY DEATHS
BUT IT'S FEWER THAN IT HAS BEEN


TEMPERATURE 12 BELOW
WIND CHILL 33 BELOW
AT 1:00 a.m.

.


 
This is just nuts.  Weather like this should be against the law.  The forecast calls for a high of 14 below today.  14 below!  What the hell can you do with 14 below except sit in the house and see if it warms up to 13 below.
 
To say "we are not pleased" is, very much, an understatement.
 


TODAY IS THREE KINGS DAY
Celebrated on the 6th of January, it recalls the account in Matthew of the "wise men from the East" who came to visit the baby Jesus.  Matthew is the only place in the Gospels where this story is told.   It does not say how many "kings" there were but it mentions three gifts given to the child so the 3 wisemen tradition was born.


By the way, if you'd like to celebrate Christmas again, Orthodox Christmas, which goes by the Gregorian calendar, is today.

Merry Christmas to our Orthodox friends.


In case you're wondering, SPRING is 72 days away (and it can't come soon enough).

My hands burn.  Skin as dry as old leather.  Winter really dries me up.  Lot's of St. Ives Moisturizer needed!

I just got an email from Walgreen's.  Tomorrow is Seniors Day.
20%off all the Walgreen's house brand items if you're 55 or over or have an AARP card.  If I can get over there without freezing I'd better take advantage of that.


NEWS FROM LYNNE:
 
" We are not going anywhere.  Way too cold.

  Dawn and her pup were here for a week and luckily missed this cold wave.  We had such a good time with the family and drove up for a day visit with her Grandma.  Weather in Georgia is much warmer and she had a safe trip back before the snow fell.  Just a little snow on her way.



Right now it is 8 degrees but -12 with the wind and it is cloudy.  Prediction for Monday is -19 with feeling like -46.  Hope everyone stays warm and keep their pets inside."

JANUARY  6, 1935
NEW MEXICO
BECOMES THE 47th STATE 

 

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER