AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Thursday, August 01, 2013

Here's an article comparing today's Airline prices and the airline prices of the 1950's.

The article is trying to make the point that it's, actually, a lot cheaper to fly today than it was in the 1950's. Read the article here.

It may be true that a lot more people can afford to fly these days but I have a suspicion that the person who wrote the article wasn't around to actually fly in the '50's and 60's.  I was.

In those "olden days" the meals were truly "gourmet", served on real china with real silver and I remember, on Northwest flights, there was a fresh rose...a real rose...on every tray.

The service you got on coach, in those days, was Far superior to the first class service you get today.  I know.  I flew coach in the old days and flew first class, in recent times, when I lived in Houston and the coach in the old days was "more for the buck".

Todays prices may be cheaper, when you account for inflation, but in the '50's you got what you paid for.  You ain't gettin' what you pay for now.

I really think the word "service" should be taken out of today's dictionaries because service today is about as rare as cheap gas.

1 comment:

det said...

You aren't the only one who feels that way. Here's another public comment on same story:

AL CARIOTI
Aug 1st 2013 9:34AM
Relatively speaking, it is less expensive than it was 60 years ago. Agreed.

However, I'm not sure I like the trade-offs. Air travel used to be a classy event we looked forward to. Cheerful people getting you on and off your flight as effortlessly as possible, was nice.

Getting a hot-cooked meal was another perk we waited for; and no TSA agents having you remove your clothing, take your laptop out, then reassemble everything you prepared neatly at home.

People got dressed in suits or tasteful travel clothes. Today they travel in shorts and t-shirts.

I actually miss those days.

LA CROSSE WEATHER