AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Thursday, June 21, 2012

WHAT DO YOU SUPPOSE THE ROYALS ARE TALKING ABOUT AT BREAKFAST THIS MORNING

I'm betting they're talking about the upcoming "swan upping".  I'm also betting you have, absolutely, no idea what a swan upping is.  Well, let me tell you.

David Barber announced, this morning, that this years swan upping will be July 16 through July 20.  David Barber is the Queen's Swan Marker.

Here's another bet.  I'll bet you had no idea that the Queen even had a swan marker.  Well, she does and it's David's job to keep track of how many swans are swimming around on the River Thames.

How do you suppose you get a job as a swan marker?  I wonder what the qualifications are.  I doubt there are more than two.  You have to know what a swan looks like and you have to know how to count.  I wonder what kind of money a swan marker makes?

I could go on and on but, getting back to the original question.  What is a "swan upping"?  The answer: It's the annual census of the swan population on the river.  This is damned important stuff, if you're a Queen.

Why don't they just call it the swan count?  Counting is for commoners.  Upping is for royals so, "up yours".

The royal family is such fun!

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER