AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Sunday, October 02, 2011

FALL IN SPEARFISH CANYON

Ron and Penny took a drive through Spearfish Canyon to enjoy the fall colors. The photo's brought back some wonderful memories.  We used to get out there quite often when I lived in Deadwood.

One of the canyon sights everyone enjoys is Bridal Veil Falls. A friend, who also worked at the radio station, and I spent one afternoon climbing up the side of the falls (about 50 feet). I still don't believe I actually did it but I lived to tell the tale. The climb was well worth it. Behind the falls, at the top, is a small lake with the beautiful forest that seems alive with birds and it's so isolated that you feel as though you're all alone in the world. As I recall, with my fear of heights, getting back down was far more terrifying than going up.

It's amazing what you can do when you're young. Nowadays it feels like an achievement that I can still get out of the chair.
For more history of the canyon Click here to go to an excellent website

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER