AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Donnie made a call to Washington yesterday.

A real, nearly-live person answers the phone: "Hullo..." and a pause, no identification, no sounds, might have been a sleeping residence.

Surprised that I must actually engage a biological creature, I inquire, "Uh, Retirement?--I'm calling to make an address change."

"Ah, well, this is the right place, but, uh, we're nearly closed now." It was 4:47 Washington time.

"Okay," I surrendered, "I'll try again tomorrow."

Funnier thing is, this was the most expeditious call I made all day. Every other bank and insurance company and government entity (Medicare, Social Security) either sent me on long trails of recorded messages, or into labyrinths of web sites. 


 Simply searching "address change" gets one nowhere. We must navigate through numerous pages and links. It will take most of 2014 for our move to get recorded by all those who send us things, though losing a few dozen catalogs along the way is a benefit.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER