AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Monday, May 13, 2013

Speaking of names, I noticed that someone from Rhododendron, Oregon visited my blog yesterday.  I had never heard of Rhododendron, Oregon before so I looked it up and discovered that it's an unincorporated community on U.S. route 26 which takes you to Mt. Hood.  You can't miss it.  It's right between Government Camp and Zig Zag!!  I'll say one thing.  You guys have some interesting names up there!

Seems as though Rhododendron folks had a hard time deciding on a name.  The community was first called "Rowe" in 1909 in honor of the mayor of Portland.  Then they changed the name to "Zig Zag" in 1919.  Then another little community, down the road, took the name "Zig Zag" and the old "Zig Zag" became Rhododendron because of all the Rhododendron's that grow in the area.

This, almost, makes me want to go to Oregon and visit these folks.  I have a hunch they have some other interesting stories to tell.

1 comment:

Charla said...

We live in Portland, and nearby is a town called Boring. They recently established a sister city relationship with the town of Dull, Scotland. So the Oregon legislature declared August 9 the annual Boring and Dull Day.

LA CROSSE WEATHER