AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Thursday, May 16, 2013

A note from Donnie
Every now and then I listen to Bob & Ray tapes in the car. On a couple occasions they used a music bit by an old-time radio crooner as a sign-off. It goes "Good-by, good-bye, I wish you all a last good bye," etc., and is sung with great theatrical melodrama, very funny. 

I have always wondered who sang it, so in January I wrote to the president of the Bob & Ray fan club and the web site manager, himself a famous old radio producer named Larry Josephson. He is responsible for collecting and producing the extensive collection of Bob & Ray tapes that preserves the boys for posterity.

I used a Gmail account that I rarely look at, and it was only in April that I checked and discovered Larry had written back the same day, saying he didn't know the answer, but would ask Bob himself, who turned 90 in March. 

Imagine my delight to receive today an old-fashoned typewritten letter from Bob Elliott himself, a very cordial message in which he answers my question in considerable detail, evidence that he is still very alert, though his signature is shaky. (A good sense of humor will keep you young!) 

I must send a reply, telling him how much I admire his work. And now I have a wonderful keepsake autograph, personalized to me!"
 

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER