AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Donnie has been reading some history.

"I forget his name but some old Oregon governor is a guy you'd love.

One hundred years ago, yesterday, he horn-swaggled Oregon Lawmakers into protecting the entire 362 miles of Oregon coastline by convincing both the public and the legislature that it was a road!

People, at the time, were only concerned with economic development, not conservation, so he came up with this argument that carried the day.  Stagecoaches had used the beaches as a route between cities so it wasn't much of a stretch.

It is because of him that Oregon's entire coastline is maintained as a public space, undeveloped and off-limits to industrial degradation.  Even Teddy Roosevelt called him the most visionary environmentalist of his time.

Now, if I could just remember the geezer's name!"

Have no fear.  I keep telling you I know everything.  Now, I'll prove it.

The governor's name was Oswald West and I can't imagine forgetting a name like that.  He only served one term and, rather than run again, he moved his family to Portland where he set up a law practice.

The entire Oregon coastline remains public land and out of reach of "developers" who I tend to dispise even more than politicians.

1 comment:

det said...

To set the record straight, it was not I posing the question, but a friend out West. But I knew you would find the answer.

LA CROSSE WEATHER