AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Thursday, November 08, 2012

SOME THOUGHTS FROM DONNIE
Now that we have a "Honey Boo Boo" reality show, all we need is a "Gigi" program, and we'll have come full circle back to my childhood.

I am remembering the 1970s. After I had finished school and the military, and was having trouble finding a job, in those other recession times, Gret insisted that I had to buy a suit and wear a tie if I hoped to get anywhere. (Denying a suit was about my only rebellion in that hippie era.) But now the difference is made not in the clothes we wear, but in the technology we use. A friends 30-year-old son, working at Google, tells me I have to get out of Hotmail and onto gMail. They both do the same thing, as far as my needs go, but one is old and one is new. Linda (having replaced Gret in my life) agrees, telling me that if I were to seek a job these days, my Hotmail address would be a candidate "weakness." I can show up for interviews in just about anything, as long as I can articulate the latest tech talk. And this is not a bad thing, I think.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER