AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Thursday, September 20, 2012

DONNIE IS HOME!

Safe at home, after a marathon 13-hour travel day and 650 miles. (Trip total, TX to WI to SD to TX, nearly 4,000 miles.)

My last night on the road I discovered Lindsborg, Kansas, "Little Sweden." Saw a faded freeway sign for the Viking Motel, and decided to take a look. Lindsborg is still a tidy, picturesque Scandinavian community.

In my haste to claim a night at the Viking, I missed the Swedish Inn downtown, a beautifully-restored 19th century hotel, operated by a Lutheran minister and his wife.

Main Street Lindsborg is charming, all sorts of Scandinavian design and decor, almost kitsch, and the surrounding residential streets are heavily shaded under huge old trees, elms, I think. Great for walking.

A famous National Geographic photographer, born in Kansas, lives here and has set up a classy gallery on Main Street. This is the fellow who took some famous aerial views of the La Crosse coulees--I'm sure you have seen them--and he sells his prints here, in all sorts of formats. I got some cards of the La Crosse shots, and one from Peru.

Sorry we forgot Rita's b'day in all the excitement. I should have bought dinner!

And I think I did hear the space shuttle go over this morning. Just after seeing your note, I heard a flyover that sounded louder and heavier than aircraft we normally spot. I ran outside, but too much low overcast.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER