AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Sunday, June 10, 2012

I SHOULD LIVE SO LONG!!

There's an interesting article in the HUFFINGTON POST about HOW TO LIVE TO BE 100.  Please note, in the article, that nearly half of the centenarians, interviewed, said that WALKING IS THEIR FAVORITE EXERCISE.

I always think about Vesta when someone talks about making it to 100.  Vesta's daughter, who was a nurse, said to Vesta, one day, "Mother, if you'd stop drinking and smoking, you could live to be 100."  Vesta's answer was "Who the hell wants to live to be 100?"

I'm with Vesta on that one.  The last thing I'd want to do is live to be 100.  I just bought a new pair of shoes but I don't think they'll last that long.

By the way, Vesta didn't quite make it to 100 but she lived into her 80's.  She was one of our neighbors in Armour and one of Mother's life-long friends.  I always thought of her as my "Auntie Mame".  She was one of a kind.  According to her will, she requested that a deck of cards and a string of Christmas tree lights be placed in her coffin.  The request was carried out.  Now, you see, why I called her my Auntie Mame.

WHILE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT OF WALKING

It was on June 10, 1837 that Simeon Mills arrived in Madison.  He had WALKED from Chicago.  Mills figured he had walked enough and became the deputy postmaster in Madison before opening the first mercantile establishment in the city.  He was also the Dane County Justice of the Peace and was also Territorial Clerk of the Supreme Court.  That's what I would call a busy man.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER