AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Thursday, April 26, 2012

WHAT'S A KID WITHOUT A PET?

I don't know how much Donnie remembers about Skippy but I remember so many good times with her and I think of her quite often.  She was a big part of my childhood and she gave me my first lesson in caring about those who need the most help.

I remember a picture that, sadly, I don't have anymore, of Skippy sitting,in the sun, on Grandma and Grandpa Solberg's front porch.  We only brought her back to Wisconsin once, that I can remember.  She was pretty old, by then, and not in the best of health.  Too needy to leave behind with a "dog sitter" who was, usually, Gladys.

Her death was my first lesson on the impermanence of life.  Remembering that life is far too short to spend, even one moment, on hating.  Kids need to learn that and nations too.

No matter how mighty a nation is, history proves that even the mightiest of nations falls and turns to dust in the history books.  One that really loves one's nation should want that nation to be remembered as a "loving nation" rather than one filled with hate and bigotry and war.

Skippy taught me that too.

I always smile when I remember that Mother was not a great animal lover.  Skippy knew that and she spent her life trying to win Mother's love.  Mother was always the first one she went to.  And, although Mother wasn't about to admit it, she came to care a lot about Skippy and missed her when she was gone.

It was Skippy that taught me more about love and caring than any human or philosophy ever has.  Often times we can teach others more by keeping our mouths shut and, rather than calling each other names, teaching by example.  Jesus spent as much time teaching by example as he did by preaching.

Skippy spent most of her life teaching.  A kid without a pet is a sad thing.

Happy KIDS AND PETS DAY.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER