AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Donnie has finally figured out why our health care system is so peachy keen perfect compared to other countries.
"I may not understand it quite right, but this is what it looks like.  The uninsured price of a month's supply of Lipitor was over $100.  With my insurance, I paid $25 when I started taking it a couple years ago.  After a year my cost went to $30, simply because the companies are allowed annual price hikes, whether they need it or not.  (They don't, as this tale illustrates.)  Then my doctor told me the Lipitor monopoly patent is expiring and the drug is going generic, meaning there will be all kinds of cheaper competition.  (The glories of free market capitalism.)  Anticipating this, in an effort to keep its customers, the originating company gave doctors discount cards, one of which which my doctor gave to me.  If I keep buying Lipitor, instead of some knock-off brand, I can get it for just $4 a month, and you know the company is still making a profit at $4, or they wouldn't be selling it.  So put it all together: The company was charging over $100 for a product they can actually sell at a profit for $4."

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER