AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Sunday, September 04, 2011

WHAT'S ANOTHER BAR ON 3RD STREET?

There's a big controversy going on about whether to allow a new sports bar to occupy the building at 3rd and Main where Rowley's Office Supply used to be.

For as long as I've been around, which is a very long time, La Crosse has been known, from coast to coast, as a party town with 3rd Street the place to be.  As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather see a bar there than an empty building.

There are almost as many empty buildings, downtown, as there are full ones.  I keep hearing that the reason they're empty is that there's "no parking".

I've heard this lame excuse in every town I've lived in but I've seen it happen over and over again.  If you give the folks something they want, they'll come.  Those bars have been filling up, every night, for the 70 years I've been around and I've never heard anyone say they don't go to the bars because they can't find a place to park.

Since the bar patrons seem to be the only ones without a parking problem, I can't imagine one more bar is going to cause any more problems.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER