AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Monday, February 25, 2013

WIND

AccuWeather reported winds were gusting 65 MPH in parts of Texas today and Donnie confirmed it.

"Violent, dangerous winds here.  Gusts to 45 MPH.  We've lost one large tree branch at home.  Hoping nothing else destroyed.

I had to drive into the big city and I could feel the car rocking when I was sitting at stop signs.

I was at Starbucks when the power went out.  I had just been served but the cash register was out.   I suggested they improvise with pencil and paper.  Befuddled, they realized they could neither open the register or operate the coffee machinery.  Worse, they did not know the prices of anything and were helpless without their computerized machinery.

The cashier finally exercised her authority and made a bold decision...my order was on the house unless I wanted to come back later and pay.

A minor inconvenience but fraught with implications.  Imagine the chaos if (and when) the power grid and computers and internet collapse or are taken down for any length of time.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER