AUGUST 2014

AUGUST 2014

Saturday, January 05, 2013

A MOVIE ITEM FROM DONNIE

I was in bed most of Friday with a sinus headache, but that meant I caught a broadcast of The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954), just about the first movie I remember seeing as a child.

The film has become something of a genre and cult favorite, and is in several classics halls of fame, probably mostly for the underwater filming, then a dramatic special effect, and the Creature's make-up, which I also remember seeing featured in a 1950s science magazine. (I may even still have that magazine!)

I went on line to learn more about the cast, now mostly dead and forfotten. I was surprised to see that the only woman in the film, Julie Adams, had an extensive film and TV career, and is still alive (86) and still making appearances at film nostalgia and revival festivals. She has also just published a memoir (with her son), and is attending a signing party next week at a bookstore in Hollywood that I frequented.

No comments:

LA CROSSE WEATHER